Discover, Create, Become: Learning to Innovate for the Future
"Education should no longer be mostly imparting knowledge, but must take a new path, seeking the release of human potentials.”
~Dr. Maria Montessori
In an increasingly technological and globalized world, children need more than just job skills – they need to learn how to think, problem solve, innovate, and communicate. At Bowman, we embrace the challenge of equipping the next generation through an individualized, integrated, hands-on approach based on the proven Montessori methods of development and learning.
We inspire children to love learning in an academically challenging and internationally aware program that promotes respect, responsibility, and independence.
Bowman teachers develop a personal understanding of each student’s unique learning needs by guiding them in small, multi-age classrooms for two to three sequential years. They are presenters at local and national conferences, active contributors to education-focused publications, and leaders in numerous Montessori organizations. Over 75% of our teachers have advanced degrees, and over 75% of all teaching staff (including 85% of classroom staff and 100% of lead teachers) have Montessori credentials. All teachers participate in annual professional development opportunities from international, national, and local Montessori organizations.
Parents select Bowman for the educational environment desired for their children, but quickly realize the Bowman community is valuable for the entire family. From entertaining events that include parents and siblings to Head of School Roundtables that provide support on academic and social topics, Bowman is committed to helping families grow, learn, and succeed together. Connections built at the school last a lifetime, with many students coming back to volunteer and work on campus during summer or other breaks.
Accreditation & Recognition
- Accredited by International Montessori Council (IMC).
- Accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) – We are one of only two WASC-accredited Montessori schools in California.
- Considered one of the top seven Montessori elementary schools in the world by Tim Seldin, founder of the International Montessori Council (IMC).
- Mary Beth Ricks, Head of School, has been selected to present at 6 AMS and 4 IMC annual events.
- Bowman teachers have been selected to present at 3 AMS and 2 IMC annual events.
- Mary Beth Ricks was selected for YWCA Silicon Valley’s Tribute to Women Award in 2012.
At Bowman we expect our graduates to possess the following traits, and we center our work around these traits from the first day to the last, so each child will discover, create, and become.
- Be independent and take initiative
- Be confident, competent, and curious
- Be autonomous with accessing and analyzing information
- Be intrinsically motivated
- Be adaptable and resilient
- Be socially responsible and be capable advocators
- Be academically prepared critical thinkers
- Be an effective communicator
- Be citizens of the world
And finally… Be amazing!
Benefits of Bowman
Our Core Values
Promotes strong academics through experiential learning that stimulates critical thinking and fosters life-long curiosity
Cultivates an understanding of and appreciation for other countries and cultures
Creates confident, respectful, problem-solving, community-aware individuals
Bowman in the News
Bowman School set to unveil new $20 million Learning Village (Palo Alto Weekly)